Saturday, February 23, 2008

After Dark: The Elopement...
It's all wedded in perception



Copyright © Kipp Baker, 2005.

In the spring of 2004, barely over a year out of high school, my daughter announced to us she would most definitely marry a wonderful young man she'd met while testing - and rejecting - the pursuits of higher education at North Texas State University in Denton, Texas.

While delighted with her success at finding a life's mate...I must admit, I wasn't all that happy over the circumstance, but I resolved to give the fellow a chance.

As father of the bride, my next two years were filled with a variety of visions of the future - imagined images with the potential to become reality - one of which is portrayed here...

The courtship following was fraught with all the normal worries of mistakes and social faux pas one could possibly commit in the execution of such a momentous event. Such was the state of mind of my daughter, Kristin and wife, Bonnie. The worst of these generated a wedding of "perfect imperfections." The time of the wedding was posted in the invitation as an hour off. A fact not acknowledged until the day before the ceremony...

But that became easily explained.

Their normal issues of planning the marriage were compounded by the fact they'd both moved to New Orleans; he to complete his Masters in Family Counseling; she to dutifully follow her bliss. But fate took a decidedly dramatic turn when they - and their roommates fell victim to hurricane Katrina.

Home interior after Hurricane Katrina
When it was apparent the hurricane would bull's eye New Orleans, they made their way to our home in Fort Worth. But their rented home was only three blocks from the second levee break. We watched in stupified horror, on TV and on Google satellite maps - as water to the rafters destroyed everything. After that, realization there was an hour's difference in a social engagement seemed not such a big deal.

* * *

The Fort Worth Camera Club has been in existence for over 75 years. There's a lot of history there - not to mention photographs. I've only been a member since early 2003, but I've enjoyed the camaraderie tremendously.

We have "closed competitions" from time to time during the year - any images submitted must pay some allegiance to a concept or category dreamed up by the demented or sadistic board members elected the previous year.

I hope the board will forgive me saying that - because I enjoy these efforts tremendously.

Someone, who was not quite so obsessive-compulsive about their image making as I - asked me why I continued to be a member. It seemed they couldn't understand why a former professional would want to associate with amateurs. I attributed her question to a certain deficiency in Latin - since "amateur" - in the strictest sense, means someone who does it for the love of it...a term of praise, endearment and passion in my book. While flattered, I did my best to explain that newbies often ignored "rules" of photography - showing me new ways to see things. I felt it a duty to give back in teaching at least as much as I was taking - and if I could teach, I would - in completing that transaction - learn, too. It's what the marriage of education in the student + teacher experience is all about.

The photograph here, "The Elopement" is a direct result of the closed competition category "After Dark," my passion for photography and my love of the club. For all its flaws - and any society has plenty - the club is a wonderful collection of dear friends and people who care about their image - the best kind - the photographic image.

Many thanks to the models: My friend Tom Laskoski, who ecstatically played the father at the top of the ladder, and Joe and Amanda Newman, themselves about to become newlyweds. Because the Fuji 50 slide image was a bit too underexposed - or because Darren Huski's playful image of light streamers was so artfully composed - this image only garnered a second place ribbon that month...but it's symbolism and cultural narrative will always be foremost to me and a real first rate memory.

1 comment:

Jeff Parish said...

Hey look, I'm making a comment!

Very nice work, Kipp. I can snap a photo or two, but this is several levels up the Dark Tower from me.